Winnipesuakee Lake – May 6th, 2007

May 6, 2007

Had planned a trip with Shawn and Jay for Winni. Shawn and I met up with Jay in the morning after a little bit of a late start. It was a great day though.

A little chilli and heavy winds expected we launched from Merideth bay. Trolled right out across the bay on out. Had a good bite but then we lost it. Jay’s blood was pumping I’m sure. We setup all of the lines including the fly rod outfit I put together for Jay. He was ready for a fish I tell ya.

Jay finally hooked into a fish and we landed it for him. It was a nice little salmon around 17 or so inches. Next Shawn got one about the same size or so.

I then witnessed the planer line on my side of the boat dragging like I’ve never seen before. I picked up the rod and ripped up as much line as I could reel in. Then the battle was on. I kept cranking and keeping the line tight while at the same time adjusting the drag. As I got into the mono leader I could tell this was a really good fish. Nearing the boat the shadow of a beautiful monster salmon looked up at us and then dove down stripping line off of my 200 series reel like it was a yo yo on it’s way down the spool. This fish had 2-3 more good runs like this then I was getting nervous. It came up and Shawn missed it at least once that I remember. It was a pretty smart fish and was not ready to die. Finally Shawn reached all the way out with the net and grabbed it. It was flapping all over the net and Shawn looked like he was trying to touch the clouds with it keeping it up so high as to avoid loosing her. 23.5 inches and nearly 4 pounds this baby weighed. What a fish! This is my best Salmon to date.

We moved around at bit to some other spots and then Jay got another fish. This was was almost 20 inches and he kept it for eats. Plus it looked cute next to my monster in the livewell. 🙂

Shawn put the smack down and was reeling in a good fish. As it neared the boat though he lost it. 😦 It was not a keeper size but a nice fish.

At the end of the day we had a couple of more bites but no landings.

I tried hard for the rest of the day after I got my toad to get on on the fly. Did not happen unfortunately. Maybe next time?

We headed in just after noon or so and headed home.

This was one of the most awesome fishing days I have ever had with my brothers. Really it was a blast. I hope we can do this again soon. It was fun.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: